Bjarnarhýðið

Bjarnarblogg

A bear by name, not by nature

Víkingur 100 ára

dinsdag, april 08, 2003

A huge match about to start, so here's the last bit of the Copenhagen story to take our minds off it for a moment
On Monday I packed my small overnight bag and said goodbye to Voldumvej earlyish and went downtown with Þórmundur, he went to meet his parents, but I took on the task of finding the few side streets of the small city centre that I hadn't already walked, and I'm not sure I didn't actually manage that. I went to lunch in a small but very nice restaurant in Christianshavn, another Danish frokost, but didn't go over to nearby Christiania. Christianshavn was very pretty in the spring sunshine, as the day was nice and warm.I'd thought about going to some museums, but in the end I didn't go to any. By the time on Sunday I fancied looking in on Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek it was almost four o'clock, closing time, and on Monday I was just very happy wandering around the shops. I bought a couple of Kim Larsen CDs, very nice, but didn't find a good CD shop until I went to Magasin late in the afternoon, about ten minutes before I was supposed to meet Þórmundur in the Rådhustorv plaza. I met up with my kind host at 5pm and we spent a pleasant hour talking and going to Politiken's bookshop which looking back I should've visited earlier. But all good things must come to an end and shortly after six we said our goodbyes in the train station. I went off to Kastrup Airport, met my cousin's husband Árni there and spent the waiting time in good company. And finally my plane took my home in about three hours.
It's certainly one of the best holidays I've taken, the mixture of friends, relaxation and history in a very nice city providing an overall sense of contentment. It was maybe slightly too cold the first two days, and Tivoli wasn't open but this is in fact a good thing since it provides a cast iron excuse for visiting again either this summer or the next. Thank you so much, Þórmundur, Sóley and Sigurveig for a wonderful time.