Bjarnarhýðið

Bjarnarblogg

A bear by name, not by nature

Víkingur 100 ára

zaterdag, april 19, 2003

Oprah is on telly, just about to start, and it looks like the show is about 'What to do with my life' and the magic words are 'Follow your heart'. No doubt there'll be heart warming stories of people switching careers and doing what they want to do and being very successful. This has of course set me thinking. How many people actually have such a calling?
Take me (I would do that wouldn't I?). Five years ago I wouldn't have dreamt I would be doing what I'm doing, but here I am, and liking it pretty much. I think I'm pretty good at what I do, and all in all it's not bad. But in no way am I doing it because I followed my heart blindly. I went to uni, studied stuff, was good at some stuff, less good at other stuff and great at some stuff (last part being the smallest). And then I got a job more or less at random. etc.
So, to me it's more a case of 'Find something you're good at and that you don't hate doing. And do it as well as you can'. For those people with dream jobs, great, but don't come yapping to me about how I should dream and and follow my dreams.
Being content with your life is underrated.
Finally I cant let today pass without saluting Michael Watson. Because sometimes you have to fight, despite my previous call for mediocrity *grin*