Bjarnarhýðið

Bjarnarblogg

A bear by name, not by nature

Víkingur 100 ára

woensdag, maart 12, 2003

OK, US House of Representatives has now officially gone nuts. Renaming French Fries as Freedom Fries. *sigh* What next? Declaration of war against France too? Due to olfactory terrorism by garlicy means?
On much happier note, I'm now almost back to full health, fvo full. Tonight some friends who live in London but are back home visiting are coming to dinner. Was about to say "And in just over two weeks I go.." when in fact it's actually Friday next week that I go over to Copenhagen. It's over twenty years since I last went, knowing the Nonni books by heart (adventures of an Icelandic boy in 1870s Copenhagen) and more or less using them as guide books. This time I'll do some sightseeing and see the pubs I didn't go to then, where 19th century Icelandic intellectuals plotted for independence while drinking away their life.
A smidgen of information I just came across on alt.fan.pratchett: The Clan MacDonald visitors
centre in Glencoe has appointed a Campbell as a manager. Apparantly some people are not happy. On the other hand, it shows how far things have come. More about the massacre of the MacDonalds by the Campbells at Glencoe. I could think up analogies with today's major cultural and national vendettas, but then again, so could you.